30 Amazing Food That Can Cure Common Diseases: Coriander In this series of posts, certain foods’ health and medicinal benefits will be discussed. 30 Amazing Food That Can Cure Common Diseases: Coriander series will be published bi-weekly.
- Dhania Is Known in Different Languages As:
- Sanskrit -Dhanyaka, Dhanya, Dhenuka, Dhanaka, Vitunnaka,
- Hindi – Dhania
- Latin – Coriandrum sativum
- Bengali – Dhanne
- Marathi – Dhane
- Kannada – Konthavuri
- Telegu – Konthamelu
- Gujrati – Dhana
- Tamil – Kotamalli
- Sindhi – Dhania
- English – Coriander Seed
Dhania is very popular and grown all over India. The plant is small with tiny branches, which bear leaves and inflorescence. These flowers turn into small-sized, round-shaped seeds having two segments, and are known as Dhania.
Fresh leaves (as flavouring agent) and dried Dhania seeds (as spices) are used in curries, chutney etc. Dhania has aromatic oil and is slightly pungent.
This is a great flavouring agent, stimulant, carminative, helps in stomach ache and griping pain, tranquiliser, germicidal, diuretic, antipyretic, curtails excessive requirement of water in the digestive system and is a tonic.
Curative Properties of Dhania (Coriander):
Asthma, cough (dry):
- Taking 1 tsp of Dhania powder and mishri in boiled rice water 3 times a day controls cough.
- 1 tsp Dhania sharbat mixed with 1 tsp honey 3 times a day cures dry cough (Soak 50 gm coarsely ground Dhania in 500 gm. water overnight. Boil till decoction is 125 gms. Strain it through cloth and prepare (chashni) sharbat with 250 gm Desi sugar).
- Smelling fresh coriander leaves stop sneezing.
- 1 tsp of Dhania Churn (10 gms Dhania, 10 gms Illayachi & 10 gms Jeera-fried and powdered) after meals controls diarrhoea, cures indigestion and increases appetite.
- 1 tsp of heated powdered Dhania with water checks loose motions.
- 5 gms heated powdered Dhania with curd or skimmed curd or water every 4 hours is useful.
- ½ tsp Dhania powder with little Kala Namak after meals help.
- ½ tsp of the mixture (60 gm dry Dhania powder 25 gm black pepper and 25 gm salt) with water after meals cures the tendency to go to the toilet after meals.
- 1 tsp of decoction of Dhania powder and Mishri (10 gms each) 3 times a day-cures dysentery.
- 1 tsp Dried Dhania powder boiled in a cup water-taken twice a day controls gaseous problems.
- Oil of Dhania is carminative and used in flatulent colic.
Loss of Appetite:
- Taking 30 gm juice of fresh Dhania leaves daily increases appetite.
- 1 tsp of ground powder (Dhania, small Illayachi and black pepper in equal quantity) mixed with 1 tsp ghee and sugar eliminates dyspepsia.
Giddiness, Vomiting, Nausea:
- Dhania boiled in water mixed with Mishri eliminates nausea, giddiness and vomiting in pregnancy.
- Applying juice of fresh Dhania leaves on the forehead cures headaches.
- Boil 125 gm ground Dhania in 500 gm water till 125 gm remains. Then mix 125 gms Mishri in it till it gets thick. Taking it regularly cures mental weakness.
- Chewing 1 gm Dhania seeds slowly 3 or 4 times a day or
- 1 tsp of Dhania with 1 tsp of Mishri-4 times a day relieves throat ache.
- 2 tsp Dhania Sharbat or 2 tsp Dhania boiled in 1 cup of water- taken 2 or 3 times relieves ache.
- ½ tsp of Dhania powder with ½ tsp sonth 3 times a day cures fever.
- Soak 100 gms ground Dhania in 500 gms water for 1 hour in a new earthen pot. Strain it and take ½ cup water with 5 Batashas-every 3 hours. It cures giddiness, vomiting, and nausea due to heat.
- 1 tsp Dhania soaked in 1 cup of water with sugar acts as a preventive against heat stroke.
Blisters in the mouth:
- Applying ground Dhania or juice of fresh leaves on blisters cures them.
- Gargle with Dhania boiled water cures blisters.
- Paste Coriander and barley flour in equal quantities or
- Paste of fresh Dhania leaves with gram flour and Gulab Jal applied daily cures Kanthamala.
Bite of Poisonous Insects:
- Taking some Dhania seeds with cold water and applying fresh Dhania juice mixed with vinegar relieves the stinging sensation.
- Taking 4 gm powdered Dhania mixed with Mishri with fresh water in the morning for 7 days cures night-discharge
- 1 tsp of fresh Dhania paste with Mishri and cold water in the morning
- 1 tsp. of powdered Dhania and sugar with water in the morning and evening prevents night-discharge, or (Note: Don’t eat anything for 1 hour after this dose.)
- Dhania powder mixed with Mishri in cold water taken before sleep in same quantity) daily induces sleep cures this.
- Applying juice of fresh leaves on the head-makes hair grows.
- Dhania juice with Mishri cures blood oozing from piles.
- 2 tsp Dhania (fried in little ghee) & 2 tsp sugar boiled in 500 gms milk taken hot in place of tea or coffee for sometimes cures piles.
- Taking 1 tsp of paste of Coriander leaves or 1 tsp Dhania mixed with Amla improves eyesight.
- Paste of Coriander leaves with sugar to taste taken in water induces sleep.
- Application of juice of fresh leaves on the forehead is also useful.
- 20 or 30 gm sharbat (by boiling fresh Dhania leaves and Mishri in the same quantity) daily induces sleep.
- 3 to 5 gms of powder with Gulabjal (made by mixing powdered Coriander , Khaskhas, Binole seeds 10 gms each with 20 gms Khand).
- Dhania powder with boiled rice water checks for excessive bleeding during menses.
- Boil 20 gm Dhania in 200 gm water till the water is 50 gm. Taking the mixture with Mishri checks for excessive bleeding.
- Soak 30 gm half ground Coriander in 500 gm boiling water in an earthen pot overnight. After straining it in the morning mix 30 gm Batasha. 8-10 gms of this taken 4-5 times in a day for some time cures strangury
BLEEDING through Nose:
- Applying a paste of fresh leaves on the forehead and smelling the juice of fresh leaves stops nose-bleeding due to heat.
- Taking paste of Dhania (soaked overnight) in the morning is also useful.
- Juice of 100 gms fresh Dharia leaves, taken daily is a source of all vitamins.
- Fresh Dhania leaves, as a flavouring agent, should be used in raw form to present loss of Vitamins caused by heating or boiling.
Click to Follow: Facebook and Twitter
You Must Read:
#1 :ANAR (Pomegranate) 30 Amazing Food ..
#4: Ajawayan 30 Amazing Food ..
#5: 30 Amazing Food Ajwaan
(Carrot): Cure Common Diseases