History of Siddheswari Kali Mandir Bagbazar: Once upon a time, it was a deep forest there. Sutanuti village (the village turned into Calcutta/Kolkata) is filled with forests of cane and hogla leaves. No noise. Total silence. The sacred Bhagirathi River flows very close to it.
Once upon a time, a hermit named Kalivar, who was doing penance in a cave in the Himalayas, received a revelation from the goddess Kalika. After leaving the Himalayas, he set up his meditation seat in the Sutanuti cane and Hogla forest. Goddess was happy in penance. She asked the monk to install the idol at the place indicated by her. The monk completed the work on time. Later, transferring the burden of daily worship to the hands of a Kapalik, he went on his pre-ordained path. Even during the East India Company period, sacrifices were offered in front of the goddess Kalika founded by the monk Kalibar.
This story and folklore are related to the Goddess Siddheshwari Kali of Bagbazar. The date of the first establishment is still in the dark. Goddess Siddheshwari established at 512 Rabindra Sarani near Kumortuli.
Siddheswari Kali Mandir Bagbazar
This is not a rumor anymore. About the year 1686/87. At that time, Holwell was the Governor of Bengal. Gobindram Mitra came to Sutanuti in search of fortune from today’s Barrakpur and Chanak of the past. He settled in Kumortuli. The wheel of fortune turned. Black Zamindar Mitra Mashai became the assistant of Saheb Zamindar through his hard work and efficiency. From 1720-1753, he earned immense wealth and money from that post.
He built the temple of Bagbazar in 1730/32. The idol of the goddess installed in the temple is Mrinmayi. Big eyes, about normal human height. To the left foot of the goddess is a full Digambar white Mahadev’s head. The unadorned goddess is not naked, but the goddess is gorgeous. Currently, there are two Khara (weapons). One is modern and one is ancient. No one knows how old it is. One is overwhelmed to see the worn-out Khara.