Hangseswari Temple Hoogly was commissioned by Raja Narsingh Deb Roy Mahase and later completed by his widowed wife Rani Shankari in 1814. The architecture of the temples represents “Tantric Satyagraha”. The structure talks about the structure of the human body. Because the five-story temple is like the five parts of our human body, namely: Bajraksh, Ira, Chitrini, Pingala, and Sushumna.
The presiding deity of the temple is Hangseswari Temple Hoogly, a form of Mother Adi Parashakti Jagatjanani Dakshina Kali in Hindu mythology. In December 1799, Raja Nrisimhadeva Raya Mahasaya laid the foundation stone of this temple. But after the completion of the second story in 1802, the founder died, leaving this far-flung temple unfinished. His second wife Rani Shankari completed the rest of the work in 1814.
Built in the early 19th century, the temple is dedicated to Goddess Hangseswari, a form of Goddess Kali. The architecture of this temple, which is truly extraordinary in all its forms, is the main attraction of this place. The temple complex is at a height of 27.5 meters and has a total of 13 minarets. The spire of each tower represents a lotus flower. The presiding quadrangle Devi idol is made of blue neem wood.
The ruling deity of the temple is Hanseshwari (‘Han’ meaning Shiva and ‘Sa’ meaning power), an incarnation of Goddess Kali. Surprisingly, Narsingh Deb’s mother, a dark-complexioned woman, also had the same name and personality.
Unlike the metal castings prevalent in that era, the idol painted in blue and is made of neem wood. The temple has a beautifully landscaped garden and an old terracotta temple dedicated to Ananta Basudev, a form of Lord Vishnu. Even today, regular prayers offered to both the deities, and animal sacrifices offered daily. The ruins of the royal residence of Datta still exist behind the temple complex. The temple will leave you in awe because of the architectural details.